Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Unqualified but Willing

Those disciples may have missed it on a hundred accounts, but when I read this version of the Message, I have to give them a little credit...they were willing.
Matthew 24-26 Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?
"Don't run from suffering; embrace it." Yup. And they still followed him.

The alternative I suppose, is helping oneself through whatever trial or suffering, and then having self to thank on the other side. Although, what if plowing through suffering and letting Him lead actually resolves in true freedom and deeper wisdom.

Fair enough. Embrace it.
The truth is, when I think about it, relationship is the only criteria that qualifies us. Credentials are not to scoff at and education is not time wasted, but true qualification with value begins at relationship.
When the storms get rocky and life tosses, it's relationship that keeps us calm at sea. When kids run and tantrum or fight between siblings, it's relationship that grounds our hearts in the loud.
Jesus, thank you for qualifying us. Thank you for being the Harvard of life and the Yale of eternity. If we are willing to sign up, we are qualified.

Cheers. You. Are. In.




No comments: