Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Yesterday's was Perfection (Winter's Defeat)

I gingerly sat down at my spinny stool and muscled the sliding door open. The warm breeze touched my arm and the tears started to well.

Alright. Alright. I'll stop being sappy, but SERIOUSLY! I almost let myself cry yesterday when I opened the door and it wasn't frigid. I did!

And don't act like you weren't excited, because all I hear in the grocery or at Target is that, "we live in a polar vortex", and "this is the longest and coldest winter ever". And it is.

But, haha, yesterday was gorgeous. B E A U T I F U L!

I breathed deep while scrubbing toilets and dusting furniture. Since the move, I have a new thanks in my heart toward cleaning. I am so thankful for this new home and every inch of dust and dirt I get to clean. The sun streaming in makes the surfaces always seem unkept, but I don't even care. I don't ever wanna stop being thankful for this promise.

We rushed into the car, food thrown in bag, and headed to my friend, the red strong one. She opened the back door and kids played and ate OUTSIDE just before we walked to the mud. I mean, we walked to a park, but it was mostly mud. Eva and Aslan both took their turns whimpering to me because their hands were more brown than pink. "Just wipe it on your pants. You'll get used to the dirt when spring is officially here", I said.

Cold jars in hand, we walked the city streets and headed back to home. We WALKED the streets. Breath in one more time, that warm spring air we cling to these last days of winter. At home, my oldest used water colors with me in the back while baby napped. The bonfire circle stared hard all afternoon, because both kids were stoked for Dad to come home and turn chocolate graham marshmallow into a beautiful smore.

And he did. And we ate. And it was perfect.

Raking sticks that had fallen from the ice. Cleaning out deck boxes that hold their toys inside. Sidewalk chalk and basketball games that include mama and dada, 1 on 1, laughing til crying in the driveway.

THIS IS LIFE! This is beautiful, in the moment, life.

We didn't need money. We didn't need an agenda. We didn't need anyone's approval. We just needed each other.

Cheers to spring and you and yours! This is only the beginning...






No comments: