Friday, May 9, 2014

Mother's Day Weekend

It's a common thread of humanity.

We are all, undoubtedly, alive because of a mother. Our mother.

She gave birth, be it c-section or vaginal, and breath became life on that day.

You became alive.

It started as His thought, more than sand on the sea, and it moved forward in the garden, when God breathed life from the dust.

We share physical commonalities with our moms. I've got my mom's hands and veins. I have her skin and her physique. And maybe you've even caught yourself sharing something more. Your character or your laugh.

I caught myself giving one of the kids a "flick" of annoyance when they disobeyed in front of guests. I remember telling my mom, "I will never flick my kids. I never liked that you did that!".

And then I did. And I told her. And we laughed. It must be a mom thing.

Being a mom is one of those things that ya just don't know until ya know. You just don't have a clue what selfless living at its core looks like and feels like.

It's exhausting. It's physically draining. It's thankless. It's lonely.

But it's beautiful. And it's rewarding. And it's unbelievable. And it's a gift.

It truly is a gift. The thought of a babe, a new life, being pushed out into our hands. Someone trusting us with the responsibility to feed and house and train this thing, this treasure, this world changer even.

So, this weekend, I'm challenging myself to look a little deeper at the women I know and remember their sacrifices and their love. I'm hoping to celebrate their acts of obedience that strictly came from love.

That's what moms do. They don't "do" anything because it's right, they do everything because of love.

Happy Mother's Day Mom, Victoria, Linda, Grams, Grandma Key, and Mia! You've been giving and caring for years and this weekend, I hope you know that you are thought of and remembered and your love does not go unnoticed.

Cheers!




No comments: