Sunday, February 2, 2014

Toy Story Knew What's Up-You've Got a Friend in Me

Best Friend.

It's been a while since I heard the term and it's the first time I ever heard Him say it to me.

Best Friend.

I was driving on Wednesday, kids in the back. I was in a funk from the winter temps and gray skies. My thoughts were swirling through all the mountains and valleys in the past, but in perfect timing I heard Him say it. Sometimes you just need someone to say it...

"You're my best friend."

It means you are not alone in this. No one knows you as well as He does. He is so proud of you and in love with you and He's cheering you on around every corner.

It means there is hope beyond self and there are resources beyond measure.

It means there are hugs for the low times and champagne toasts for the celebrations.

A best friend loves you despite your flaws and refuses to let you sit the game out. I've heard it said before, "a best friend is your #1 fan."

And then I thought about John. He gets that title, the one whom Jesus loved. He was the one close to Jesus, even leaning on His bosom. Did He know Jesus was soon going to be physically untouchable? Did He have a bad day and need Jesus' touch just to know everything was going to be ok? Maybe there wasn't room at the table and he coincidentally was squished next to Jesus.

Regardless of the reason, when you have a best friend, you want to be close. You get to be close.

If you feel like no one understands what YOU are going through, you have a best friend who gets it.

If you are experiencing loss, and feel like the hours go by in silence, you are not by yourself, you have a best friend who is with you.

If you have dozens of friends, but don't feel truly connected, you have a best friend.

This word is not just for me, it's true for you.

"You're my best friend." -Jesus

No comments: