Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Bad Luck and Smoking Pipes

It's July at its best, and the heat remains, well, hot.

I've noticed Pennsylvanians love to talk about the weather. Is it a lack of meaningful chatter or is it just an obsession with the uncontrollable? Either way, strangers love to address the precipitation or lack.

We lost power after last night's rain, and through our experience someone told me of their luck...and how it is usually bad.

Bad luck. In the charismatic world, "luck" is often looked at as a no-no word. Should luck mean that we are all set up to succeed or fail, not because of our actions, but by chance, I suppose I agree. I don't believe in luck either. Sure, I believe in statistics, the reality that generalizations can be made and lead us to believe that a person seems to have bad luck, but I don't believe anyone is born to be "unlucky".

Do you?

When this fellow told me of his "bad luck", it aroused something in me that I can only assume is my optimistic nature and personality. I wanted to tell him that he doesn't have bad luck, that he's just seeing things all wrong. Maybe he's been raised to notice the bad and over look the good. Maybe he goes looking for the bad, not even knowing what good looks like or sounds like. Maybe he's trapped in some sort of realistic, negative mindset, when in reality, reality isn't real at all.

But now, I may have lost you.

But in case I haven't...and in case this may be you. Or not.

You don't have bad luck. There actually isn't such a thing, as bad luck. I mean, you may think that terrible things are happening to you on a consistent basis, but I'm telling you that great things are waiting for you to discover them.

You wake up every day and you're loved.
You have strengths and gifts and you are actually going to change the world with them. No seriously, even affecting 1 is enough to change the world.
You were born to live, and abundantly at that.
You have family and friends and if you don't think that's true, then reevaluate what those words mean.
You've been given a second chance, you were chosen, you are blessed, and actually blessed all the days of your life.

ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.

Every. Single. One. So take that. Take that and shove it up your big "bad luck" pipe, and smoke it.

And then let me know how it feels.

Cheers to having power, speaking truth to lies, and writing again! It feels great.



No comments: