Sunday, July 20, 2014

Jason Upton Throwback

The first time I'd ever heard Jason Upton, my brother in law threw me his CD as a "new artist" that was thinking of signing to his label (12 years ago). It was in TN, Veronica and I were visiting and making a vacation of it. 

We sat in the car and we froze. We listened and we opened eyes wide, drinking in the new sound. It was song. It was alive. It was fresh. It has honestly changed my life. 

We took the CD inside the empty house where we were staying and something grabbed our hearts. We couldn't stop. Hours and hours into the night, Veronica and I danced and sang to this fresh new sound of song. We cried. We sweat. If the bible says God sings songs of deliverance over us, I believe this was one of those songs. 

Jason sang this morning (at our church) and I recognized something while he sang. It's been a hard week for me, physically draining and a bit of an emotional "funk". And to be honest, the to-do lists have taken over any time I would have carved out for God. 

But as Jason sang today, I remembered a concept Erik Smith mentioned in his book. "All things created by man are decreasing or wasting away, but all things God created are increasing". I have thought of this with physical things, buildings falling apart and vehicles turning to rust, but today, God woke me up.

It isn't just the physical things that decay, it's our minds and our spirit, if they aren't being renewed by God. For me, this past week has been full of man-made lists and projects and jobs, which in and of themselves are not bad, but without God, I am decaying. I'm decreasing. I'm falling away instead of increasing like I was created to. 

As Jason sang, I could actually feel my mind and my body and my spirit being renewed. I was being strengthened and refreshed. 

God, help us, help me, to take time away from life, from busy LIFE, and tune in to what actually makes us alive. Without you, I am just dying and I want to live, abundantly live! 

Thank God for the Holy Spirit who speaks to us, not just when we are on point and have it all together, but when we are weary and weak. 

Cheers to a week full of Him, what really matters. 

No comments: